Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Contagion without containment

Normally, I do not participate in things like chain letters and email chains. But this chain seems interesting. Myrna invited me to respond to a writing interview.

I followed the chain back a bit to try to determine the rules, and possibly the origin, but didn't get very far. It appears that one answers four questions and then suggests ("tags") someone else to participate. This produces a potentially unbounded chain, actually a branching structure, because many people seem to invite more than one other person to continue the chain. Of course some branches end, either without invitation, or with non-responsive invitees.

This type of post spreads across the internet of bloggers, in a way similar to the way a contagious disease spreads. Not saying it's a bad thing, though. My participation will be difficult to find because the usual blog title of "Writing Interview" does not fit my self-imposed constraint on blog titles. So, if you've stumbled upon this, welcome to my writing interview.

What am I working on?

I am working on a "contrast without contempt" between two belief systems which I know fairly well. Proponents of each of these belief systems tend to express contempt for those of the other, so this is a bit of a touchy subject. I have not yet worked up the courage to publish the initial post for that work, but have one in draft.

Otherwise, I am enjoying writing up little experiences from my past, mostly from my professional career. I have done some things which are, as far as I can tell, unique. Other things which I describe were innovative and/or ahead of their time.

How does my work differ from others of its genre?

I don't know of anything else in this genre. Self-conscious, flow of consciousness, stories of an ordinary lifetime. There probably are many public diaries, and there may be one out there just like mine.

Why do I write what I do?

Like many who have answered, it is because I feel compelled by inner forces to write. To my knowledge, I don't have a large audience, as only a handful of dear friends have ever commented.

As to the little personal stories, I write so that they will not be lost when I leave the planet. I do so mainly for the benefit of my posterity.

As to the professional experiences, I think it is important that these be documented.

How does my writing process work?

I think about things for days (and nights) on end, trying to find a pair of con- words to fit as a post title. Finally it all comes together and out of me into the blogger editor, gets a brief polish and publication.

Who would I like to interview?

Elizabeth and/or her husband Cody, and Ashlyn. As both blogs are content without constraint as to titles, I hope each post will be entitled "Writing Interview" to restore the pattern.

If either or both respond, this will be my contribution to a contagion without containment.


No comments:

Post a Comment