Thursday, November 16, 2023

Communication without Conspicuousness

A strange sequence of events happened eight and a half years ago (and today).

A U.S. Supreme court ruling was handed down on a Friday. That same day, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints responded with a press release, and a Facebook friend responded to both with a claim that, "They [the Church] will in time" alter their doctrine to conform to the court's opinion.

The following Sunday, I prepared a response to my friend, but did not post it to Facebook.

Today, I found my reaction as an unpublished draft!

The Communication

Upon re-reading it, and still thinking what I wrote then makes sense, I published it, as Contemplation without Confusion.

without Conspicuousness

Confusion, however, ensues now, because Blogger published it dated retroactively, so it appears to have been posted years ago. Hence, no one will notice it, hence it will be even less conspicuous than my blog posts normally are.

Context

It is now just over half way through November, and in honor of NoBloPoMo*, I'm once again thinking about blogging here (and elsewhere), just to participate (less than fully) in said movement.

Thus, I logged in to Blogger for this blog where I posted last nearly a year ago, and then complained to some potential readers that I was talking to a wall (see their comments to that post, Community without Conspicuity).

Call to action

Dear readers, I invite you to explore the documents linked, and consider the sequence of events that I am, today, communicating to you.

And, if you have the time, to consider reading or re-reading the centerpiece of this blog, Contrast without Contempt.

Notes

NaBloPoMo is a thing on the web (sometimes hash-tagged, but apparently without an official website, and unknown to Wikipedia). Less disciplined than an acronym, and definitely not an initialism, the consensus seems to be that the term means "National Blog Posting Month". It seems to call upon bloggers to post at least once a day during that month every year. I will, obviously, fall short.

So, which is it? "Conspicuity" or "Conspicuousness"? Please let me know in the comments which nominalization you prefer. (Fun fact: "nominalization" is itself a nominalization.)

"did not post it to Facebook" Why not? Reasons forgotten. Likely because unpopular opinions get attacked, and I am cowardly loath to provoke attack. I've even forgotten which friend it was.

"Less disciplined than an acronym" which, following the rules would be NBPM.

"definitely not an initialism" but, ironically, that is what NBPM (the "acronym") would actually be.

"actually be" Will these notes never end? Thanks for your visit.

1 comment:

  1. According the the Wikipedia article on Abbreviation, "NaBloPoMo" would be a "Syllabic abbreviation."

    ReplyDelete